Monday, June 13, 2005

Why should we be interested in Screencasting?

As IDOLers, I hope that you are considering the world of podcasting, but I especially hope that you are beginning to learn about the world of screencasting. Using programs like RoboDemo (now called Captivate), TurboDemo, or Camtasia, you will create actual narrated demonstrations for users to watch and listen.

Especially important is the idea of creating RLO (reusable learning objects). It is the idea of RLO and repositories like the one at rice.edu that offers great promise for our community of practice.

Imagine that I develop a screencast with script and original program file. In my case, I actually embed the script into the Captivate document and zip my files so that any of my interested colleagues can add their narration. The good news is that an SME (subject matter expert) and ID (instructional designer) have already refined the presentation and content. The better news? Using orinatl Captivate files, anyone can customize it with their voice.

Screencasting, podcasting, vodcasting … what is next?

David

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Bell said...

Interesting post here David. My only thoughts about putting a Captivate movie as a "screencast" is filesize problems. Most movies that I create end up around 5-7 megs. Is that to big to send as a screencast? I guess I can go ahead and answer my own question.. Not really to big, but a little cumbersome. Most mp3 podcasts are going to be in the 3-4 meg or maybe a little larger so I guess this wouldn't be that much worse. Interesting post though. I like the ideas. Especially since I am so up with Captivate.

Michael

4:11 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

We (my wife and I) used this idea a lot with her online class in SPED Assessment this past semester. Every presentation was narrated with Captivate. We did start with PowerPoint for comfort level, but was able to add value with additional digital images of the assessment instruments, hot spots, and short animations. It was a great start and should coninue to get better. I think screencasts and podcasts are going to become really big as tools for learners. A particular plus was the built in audio tools. A negitive was that it was still a lot of work to provide the audio text and slides in a printable format.

The file sizes where managable and some students were on dial-up. However, our Quicktime Videos were not as successful from a technical view. The students lost patience. We had to point them to broadband access points. The students who didn't have trouble viewing the clips really apprciated them. Overall, a much better learning experience using captivate to make screen/podcasts.

Lee

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home